Tuesday, May 29, 2007

What's For Breakfast?



This GREEN, SCARRY, YUMMY, looking thing has been the kids and my morning drink for the past five months. It will definitely be my morning drink every day the rest of my life. You don't need to eat anything else with it and will sustain you throughout the morning. I have had a few people ask me about it so I decided to share the secret.

{FRUIT & SPINACH SMOOTHIES} The KEY to this is the spinach. This is such a great way to get your green, leafy, veggies in every single day and not have to force them down you. Honestly, my kids LOVE them and don't even ask why it's SOOOO green.

1/2 c. juice (any kind- I usually use apple juice or OJ)
1/2 c. water
1 banana
2 handful of frozen fruit (you name it- berries, mixed, mango)
Spinach- the more the better ( I buy the big plastic container from Sams or Costco and go through about 2 a week)

Put all in a blender and blend. You probably will have to stop it and use a spoon to to stir it a bit.
*if you use fresh fruit, put a few ice cubes in it to make it colder
*I usually double this for my family of five
The beauty of this drink is you can use your imagination and put whatever you want in it, but REMEMBERER your SPINACH!!

Thanks Mom for introducing me to this yummy morning "pick me up."

5 comments:

rachel said...

That is so funny cause I have a friend here that just told me about that drink except she uses pinnapple with it and loves it. I am just going to have to try it. Fun to see your blog. I have a blog too. www.imazingthings.blogspot.com

Sydney said...

I will have to try it. I've never thought of Spinach in anything other than salad. Zipporah introduced me to putting spinach in my eggs and I enjoy that so I'll give this a try. Thanks for the recipe.

katie said...

SOOO good! We tried it this morning. My kids called it a "Shrek Smoothie!!" We ALL loved it-thanks Sarah

alison said...

Hi Sarah,
As you know I have been a green drink drinker for about 2 years! I agree, it is the best way to start the day. Try a watermelon/banana one this summer. I also love grapefruit, banana. You should definately think about investing in a vitamix blender - they are the BEST for smoothies. Alison

Zipporah said...

Thanks for the recipe. We have had spinach smoothies every day this week. Yummmmm!!!