Thursday, April 26, 2007

Back to Reality









This week I have been trying to adjust back to reality and get caught up from being away... last week I had eight kids for ten days by myself. Elijah (10), Zoey (9), Toby (4), Marlie (9 months), and then my four. Yes, six of them were under the age of four. My friend DeeAnna and her husband went on vacation and she asked if I would take he four kids. I hesitated until she offered to pay me back the favor and let Eric and I go somewhere alone when we get a chance. I knew I could manage anything for 10 days and that it would be over eventually. The kids and I stayed at her house since our basement has been torn up and we have our "stuff" lying around in every room. There truly just wasn't space for four others and I needed a place I could send the kids for a break. It worked out great being at her home... my kids adjusted quickly and had a blast. They thought they were on vacation as well as her kids too. The hardest part was not seeing Eric at nights and weekends. He had a crazy week (when doesn't he) so we only saw him one evening the entire time. The boys kept asking for dad. All in all we actually had fun and really wasn't as bad as most people think it would have been. I had prepared myself mentally for what I had to do that week and just knew my focus was kids, kids, kids and nothing else. I never had a chance just to sit down and relax until they were all in bed and at that point I was exhausted and crashed myself. I don't think I ever changed as many diapers in one week, or made bottles, or fixed PB & J's, or took the garbage out, or fed baby food 2 times a day, or did schoolwork, or put Anna in the exersaucer ALL day, or see Ruby with her blankie and thumb, than I did those days. However, the main thing is that we were safe, healthy, our needs were met, and even most wants, and importantly, we had FUN!! Zoey and I had "Girls Night" and stayed up watching Never Ending Story (her pick), painted our nails and toes, and did hair. I even taught her how to sew. I can't wait until the day Ruby Jane and I can do that together. The boys spent a lot of time outside jumping on the tramp, in the sand, making squirrel housed, and being mischevious. It was a lifesavor having them able to go outside- I even made them go out in the snow. Good kids were rewarded by yummy treats and movies. Let's just say a lot of treats and movies were consumed. My kids and I were exhausted when we finally got home Sunday and all just crashed for four long hours. It felt so good. It feels great to be back in my own home and bed and back to a routine. I have lots to get caught up on (grocery shopping, bills, errands, cleaning, wash, yard work). I have been asked if I would do it again and would have to say... most definitely. Knowing that I have a week of free babysitting coming up sounds so fabulous. I just hope Eric and I can use it and get away for a little break together. Thanks Manning kids for an adventurous week. You are such great kids to be around and thanks to my adorable rug rats for being so flexible with life and going with the flow.

2 comments:

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

Shut up! You are amazing. Way to go. I don't think I could do that even with a week of vacation to myself. And are you homeschooling your kids? Email me sometime. marielebaron@gmail.com

Love ya!

Sydney said...

Wow Sarah! 8 kids for 10 days. I KNOW I couldn't do it. Hopefully you're able to get your week's vacation sooner than later. Looking forward to seeing you this summer.