Oh for the love of strawberries. We absolutely LOVE this beautiful, red, delicious, fruit. We eat them by the case.... plain, in smoothies, on ice cream, on our cereal, in desserts, dipped in fruit dip, with sour cream and brown sugar, you name it we do it. One of our favs is to make homemade strawberry freezer jam. Today Jacob and I spent the morning making our jam. What fun we had and is super easy.
wash and cut off the stems of the strawberries
put washed berries in a mixer/food processor
I have a vita mix that is fabulous and did a fatastic job for me. Mix with on/off motion until strawberries are mashed up well but not too liquidy. You will have to use a spatula to push the berries down to the blades.
Mix sugar with pectin until lumps are out. I used this pectin but there are several out there.
stir blended strawberries with sugar and pectin for 3 minutes.
pour into freezer containers. I used the ziploc brand and like them because they stack nicely. you can use any brand. let sit for 30 minutes. FREEZE!!!
I also did some in mason jars. I like the look of these better (nice for gifts with a ribbon around it) but don't stack well and I have limited freezer space.
That's it!! How easy is that. Now we can enjoy fresh tasting jam all year long. Believe me, we go through this like it is candy. If you have never attempted this, give it a try. You'll be surprised at how simple and yummy this is. I promise it will become an annual event for you. Your hubby will beg for it.
Wednesday, June 20, 2007
{Strawberry Days}
at
4:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
Man I wish we could have done this together. Soon right!
Do you remember when you and I went strawberry picking out at Johnsons Farm (I think that's where it was)? We were 7-8 months pregnant I think. I made tons of jam then, and that's the last time I did it. Next time strawberries go on sale, I'm making some jam. Yummm!
I do this every other month. For sure I do the Freezer jam, it is soooo easy. And yes, it tastes just like candy!!
I'll have to try this. I planted a few strawberry plants with the hopes of having enough strawberries to make jam but I checked on them yesterday and most of them have died:) So, next time I see them on sale, I may have to try your recipe. Until then I stole some from my mom's freezer when I was home a few weeks ago:)
I love making Jam it is so Yummy. It makes your house smell so good too. My kids eat it up.Love it!
Sounds great. My mom used to make freezer jam and I think it's time for me to carry on the tradition. Thanks for the step by step. I'll get on this once my kitchen is done!
Banna
thematsonroundup.com
I am in need of another of your recipies and cannot find it anywhere....does that say anything about me and my organization of recipies? Anyways, I can't find your chocolate ice cream and fruit ice cream recipies. Is it possible to get those from you? I got Matt a White Mountain for Father's Day and need to make some yummy ice cream. See you soon!
ashli
Yum Sarah! I am so buying some strawberries etc... I love reading your blog, it makes me miss you and I'm looking forward to seeing you soon. Kiss those kids for me!
xoxo
So fun, Sarah. Thanks for sharing. Now I'm wondering how MANY strawberries? Perhaps the packages of pectin will make that clear? It's been years since I've made jam, so I'll need a refresher. We enjoyed picking strawberries at the Johnson farm, too ... our first summer in Ohio.
Post a Comment