Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What's For Dinner...WEDNESDAY?

THE ULTIMATE IN COMFORT FOOD!

Macaroni & Cheese

1 pound elbow macaroni
1/4 c. butter
4 Tbsp. flour
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
4 cups grated Sharp Cheddar cheese

Cook macaroni according to package. Drain. In a large pot, belt butter. Add flour and stir. Pour milk and cook, stirring constantly until thick. Add salt, pepper and dry mustard, then add 3 cups of the cheese and stir just until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and add cooked macaroni and mix together. Pour into 9x13 pan, sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake 350 for 30 minutes.

I am sure some of you are skeptical about mac and cheese but this is a good one. I know I have said this before but this is definitely on the top of "favorites" with my family. Eric could eat the entire pan if I let him. It also makes for great leftovers the next day... that is if you have any which we rarely do.
I usually have this as a "side" with some grilled fish or chicken and a salad, but sometimes I just do it alone with no meat and maybe a veggie and a salad. Hope you enjoy indulging in some Mac and Cheese.

On a side note...

Last night I was having "my moment" and was down in the basement changing some laundry over. You must know that changing laundry over doesn't just mean throwing the wet clothes into the dryer. NO... I have been warped by my sister Amy and have to hang dry most of our clothes. Yes, even the kids. Really the only items that go into the dryer are pj's, socks, undies, grubby work clothes, Eric's scrubs (because they are the hospitals), and that is about it. The rest... hang on racks to dry for about 2 days. With the humidity here, it takes about 2 full days. So, back to my story. I was sorting through the wet clothes hanging the ones that get to hang, and putting the rest in the dryer. During this process, I start hearing Anna screaming. OH MY I thought. What now. I totally ignored her and continued on. She kept on screaming louder and louder and just couldn't believe it. I was yelling up to Jacob and Luke who were intensely playing Star Wars (which I totally dislike) to see what was up with Anna. Did they do anything? No, totally ignored me. So I started to yell for Ruby to check on Anna and she was watching Dora so her whole world is tuned out when Dora or Diego are on. Well, I thought to myself if I go see what is up with her then this laundry will never get finished. About 10 minutes later I got to the top of the stairs and saw THIS...
YIKES!!! She was hanging on for dear life. I had just finished unloading the dishwasher and forgot to close it and little climber girl had climbed right in it and her feet were lodged in between the racks totally stuck. I kept her there for a few more moments while I snapped a picture because I thought it was so funny. Will she ever learn? She is continually climbing on everything thinking she is so big. FRUSTURATING. Anyways, she survived the ten minute "HOLD ON" and hopefully learned her lesson. In the mean time, I went and asked Jacob and Luke why they didn't check on their sister and they looked at me like HUH? They had no clue that I was even yelling for them. And little Ruby was sooooo into her Dora Show she didn't even care what all the rucus was. Man, video games and TV... totally take my kids out of their "normal" element and put them in a different world. Not sure I like that AT ALL.

Here is Ruby watching her Dora. This girl could honestly be so content in this position the entire day sucking her thumb with her blankie watching Dora or Diego. It is a power struggle on a daily basis to get her to do anything else.


Just a random one of Anna riding her first bike/car. We were at a playhouse that had a huge cement basement with lots and lots of bikes and she just thought she was so big and was climbing in and out of all of them. What a stinker she is.

Happy Wednesday. YEAH... we are half way through the week.

9 comments:

katie said...

Oh my gosh Sarah I love you! I so wished we lived closer-come to AZ please!! Yesterday the same thing happened to me. I was doing laundry and Maycee had just started the bathtub when Easton walks downstairs and told him togo check on Maycee. He said she just turned on the jetts in the tub-OH MY...I go flying upstairs to find water SPRAYING everywhere! What a mess. I was cleaning up water all night long. These are the days and hopefully we can someday sit back and laugh and by then we will want it all back!

Nicole said...

That is so funny. My kids are the same way... "keep an eye on the twins while mommy goes & does THIS" crying... "what happened?" "um, what, what?"
Hang in there, we all are going through it & yes, our kids WILL remond us about all the crazy times.

510Jen said...

Hey I am queen of hanging all of my laundry but garments and scrubs. Only you Sar could ignore screamin baby for 10 minutes. Poor Anna. My kids also get into the groove when they are into their shows. Miss you girl.

Ginnie said...

Dinner sounds great! When can you come over and cook it?

amyorr said...

Hey Sarah. It was good meeting you the other day. Your kids are adorable! You are amazing!

Sydney said...

Great recipe! We made it last night and after the first bite Jared said "this is REALLY good"- I was a tad bit distracted while making it and added 4 cups of milk! So I had to double it. Good thing I had just gone to the cheese factory and had 8 cups of cheese on hand! Now I have extra sauce in the freezer for a quick meal!

Easton has starting climbing too. He has used the dishwasher to help him climb on the counter, the toilet to climb on the sink, etc. It's never ending. I love that you got a picture of her doing it!

You and Jen got me into line drying my clothes. I love it but it drives me crazy because I have a "laundry closet" so I have clothes in the toy room hanging to dry almost every day of the week!

ashli said...

Sar-
you crack me up! life is just crazy with these small wonders of ours! i am loving all your posts lately. so real!
hang in there... we will for sure miss these days.
ashli

Tina said...

This was my laugh for the day which I needed. I guess it was a good thing her feet were stuck! I'm not sure what it is with TV and Video games but the kids do just seem to Zone out. Glad Anna is OK and that you were able to get that cute pic. I hang out all my Laundry also I think things last longer.

Nicole said...

Sarah this is hilarious! I am still smiling. Love you and miss you.
Nic