Friday, October 23, 2009

Working Wonders

We are so doing THIS.
It's a good thing I live in Jersey because apparently the rest of Utah is doing this too. No warm fuzzies to be found. So far the kids are loving the warm and fuzzy idea. Thanks to the Primary kids who gave them to President Monson. My mom had the idea of trying to get as many as we can in the jar and then for Christmas give it to Jesus. What a great idea. Anything for nice, happy, service-oriented kids around here.


and this

Photobucket

We decieded to call it our rock chart. I know there are no rocks on it. Originally we were going to have rocks but the kids and I decided to be a little more creative. So this is it.

How it works is at the beginning of every week they get ten "rocks" under their name. Then during the week if they do something they know they shouldn't {fight, get out of bed, not mind when I ask the first time, yell back, do anything inappropriate, hit, kick, tantrum} you get the idea, I say "o.k. you just lost a rock" and off it goes. Sometimes I give a warning but usually not. The goal is to keep your rocks under your name. At the end of the week if any of them still have any rocks under their name even if it is one they get to participate in our Friday Night Popcorn Party!! Oh boy, this is a tradition so NO ONE want to miss out on our Friday Night FUN! AND, depending on how many rocks each child still has represents something else {just a few examples}:

1: popcorn party
2-4: bike ride with mom/dad, 1 hour Wii with Dad, Baseball, friend comes over
5-7: Dollar Store run, out for Ice cream or treat
8-9: out to dinner, $5 toy
10: Chuckie Cheese, Bowling, Skating, Movie, Miniature Golf

If one of them does not have any rocks under their name well then they miss out. And they will have to try harder the next week.

What is great about this is I no longer feel like I have to yell~ I just simply say "you just lost a rock." And the key is they CANNOT earn rocks back~ they are expected to be good, respectful, mind, get along you know all of the things we wish our kids did.
IT IS A PRIVILEGE to be in our family and do the fun things we do each week.

So, if you would like give it a try, it has been so successful with us so far. In fact, it is time to get a little more strict or we are going to be broke.

Supplies magnet board or fridge anything you would like. Magnets. Glue.
Jacob: Star Wars stickers that I stuck onto some cardstock, placed a page pebble on top, cut out with scissors, glued on a magnet
Luke: same as Jacob just different stickers
Ruby: Flowers & butterflies from Walmart
Anna: Brads that I cut off the back side from Michael's

I added a fun picture of each child instead of just names. I printed a 3x4 picture out and them found some 49 cent clear magnetic frames at Michael's on the counter at checkout . . . SCORE. Love em'.

I wish I could get credit for this idea but my friend got the idea from a Pediatrician who does it with his kids and he said it works great. They are down to starting out with 6 rocks. Hopefully we will get there. For now 10 may not be enough!!

7 comments:

♥Shelley said...

Great ideas. Thanks for sharing. We just had a FHE lesson on the prophets talk and we've been sharing our good deeds at dinner, but I think the warm fuzzies would be a good visual reminder. Any ideas were I might locally find some of that sheet metal for the magnet board? Do they have it at Michaels?

Sarah said...

HOME DEPOT has sheet metal for those who want to make a magnet board.

Ginnie said...

For.Heavens.Sake! (I sound like my mother, I realize that)

You are so stinking crafty... and creative. You've set the bar high.

Lisanne said...

love it..we are struggling with homework, so this might just so the trick! You rock!

Laurie said...

I recoginze that onld magnet board....makes me think of Morgan! Love that you still have it!

alicia said...

Great idea. Totally want to try something like this. Do you have shore chart ideas too? Where did you score that great magnetic board?

A Stamper's Journey said...

I love this! What a great idea! My little ones could benefit from this.

Maureen