Friday, May 14, 2010

o n e MONKEY d o w n

Grandma Alice had just been picked up from the airport just hours before. The three soccer games had just ended. Eric managed to get there to watch the games for once- the kids were thrilled. He immediately left afterwards to see a patient at the hospital. Home to get hands washed, PJ's on, teeth brush, family prayer. The kids were all happily playing together in the girls room waiting for a quick story as I snuck out to change my clothes. I was looking forward to cuddling up on the couch with a bowl of cereal to watch some American Idol after the bedtime tuck-ins.

Instead, I got to spend the rest of the night & into the morning with this cutie in the ER.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed
One fell off and bonked her head
Mommy called the doctor and the doctor said
No more monkeys jumping on the bed.

Boy did she ever bonk her head & boy did the doc ever so scold the five monkeys about not jumping on the bed.

Sweet little Claire Bear. Just learning to stand up by herself (still not walking). Just trying to show off a bit to her older siblings. Got too close to the edge of the bed as she was standing. Fell flat on her head on the hardwood floor off of the bed. We all heard it. She screamed bloody murder at first. I ran in there to pick her up, felt for the big goose egg I assumed would be there- nothing, tried to comfort her in my arms, and then the most scary moment of my life happened:

Claire went as white as a ghost.
Her body felt like a ton of bricks- she went totally lethargic and limp in my arms.
Her head began to bobble like a broken toy doll.

She wouldn't wake up. My mom tried to splash water on her face. Tried to give her something to drink. Tried to get her to stand up. My mom was definitely where I needed her but where was Eric when I needed him?

I called him in a panic and immediately found myself in the car driving to the ER. I barely made it there. I was shaking. One hand on the steering wheel, the other trying to comfort Claire in the back seat as she was vomiting all over the place. I was a nervous wreck.

Eric arrived about 30 minutes after I got there. Luckily, he works at this particular hospital so we didn't have to go through all the nonsense of waiting for all hours of the night to be seen- probably one of the only perks about being a resident. In the mean time, Claire woke up and began looking herself. We changed her into a clean gown that didn't smell like barf. Oh, but she so wanted her blankie that was totally saturated in chunky vomit. I was tempted to give it to her but the docs looked at me like I was crazy.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The end result: After a priesthood blessing and many prayers, Claire is fine. She is back to her spunky self. We have just had to watch her closely at home to make sure she acts herself and doing all the things she did before. She most likely suffered a head concussion and real sore muscles. I'll tell ya though, it was a scary, scary, experience for all of us. One I hope never to happen again to any of my children.

There will be no more monkeys in our house allowed to jump on the beds- that's for darn sure!!


So thankful she is safe.

18 comments:

BerginMania said...

I'm so glad she's ok. How scary! I'm sure glad your mom was there. What a blessing!

wurstens5 said...

That is scary! Glad she is ok too!

ashli said...

scary sar! ughhh, i hate when things happen to our babies....the feeling is unexplainable and absolutely the worst!
glad everything is fine!

GoatesGirl said...

Oh I am so glad that little monkey is alright. Been there...no fun! Thank heaven for the preisthood!

Love you all.

alicia said...

How scary!! I'm so glad all is well. My sister's baby had the same thing happen recently and he ended up with a broken arm I think.
Whew!

Kasey said...

That is so scary! I'm so glad everything turned out okay in the end, but geesh. What a horrible experience.

katie said...

Scary Sarah! Good thing your sweet mom was there to help out. So glad she is well.

Jen said...

That was scary just reading the story. I am so glad she is ok.

510Jen said...

Oh man. I hate when things like this happen. Shakes you like no other. Yes glad your mom was there and Eric and the priesthood.

Hope you had a great weekend. Talk soon.

Ginnie said...

Wow, how scary is that!? I'm so glad she is okayy. Poor thing.
We need to chat again....

Sydney said...

Wowsers, Sarah. I can't even imagine. What perfect timing that your mom was there and that Eric was back at the hospital to be there with you.

What a good mom you are that you grabbed her blankie through all the trauma and that you even considered giving it to her knowing it would be covered in vomit. I love it and love that you know what she wants and needs.

Deb said...

What a scary experience! I'm so glad she is alright. Also, so glad your Mom was there...somehow things like that seem manageable when someone else is there! Miss you!!

Stohl Family said...

I can't believe that! Your mom didn't say anything about it! That is the worst feeling ever as a mom. It is so hard when they are hurt and you don't know what to do. I'm so glad she is ok...we still need to meet the little cutie!!!!

Stohl Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rachel said...

I am so glad she is okay. That would of flipped me out. Glad she is doing better.

Cassie Jeter said...

Hey Sarah, I hope Claire is doing a lot better by now:-) It's amazing how fast accidents happen and the zillion number of ways they do! How awful of an experience for the both of you. I hope your all doing well now. Take care,

JoAnna said...

Oh, Sarah!!!!! (First of all, hello! I can't wait to see you soon!) This post gave me the chills, brought tears to my eyes, and made me weezy. Wow. How incredibly freaky. I'm so glad she is okay. I will enforce the "no monkies jumping on the bed" in our house too.

I'll be in touch soon!

Aly G said...

So scary! I can't imagine! Looks like we will be having a true story being told to my monkeys! Glad everything is ok :)