just the two of us . . .
Thanks to our awesome friends here in Asheville that we met in our ward the first Sunday here- they were so kind to take our kids and let us escape.
We had been told that we can't head back to Jersey until we get to Charleston, SC. So we did just that. And I can see why- it is a happenin' place to be.
We stayed at Charleston Harbor Resort near Patriots Point right on the water. It was beautiful. We had a perfect view of the Cooper River Bridge. We were right near the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier that was used during World War II. I wish Eric had more time to explore the ship- that stuff absolutely intrigues him- me, not so much.
This submarine is called a Clagmore. It is the only submarine preserved in the US of it's kind. Served in the Cold War. Pretty fascinating. It is part of a historic landmark on Patriots Point.
One night we hopped on some beach bikes and went cruising around. We couldn't have asked for more perfect weather. It was fun to ride along the water. We rode to a restaurant called Vickory's. It is a fish market and was awesome. We ate outside right on the water. I so need a beach bike. Loved riding that thing. The only problem is that you really need to live on flat ground to have one since there are no gears.
Downtown Charleston. What a unique, quaint, little town. There are no tall building at all. There is a law that nothing can be build taller than the church steeples. Someone told us Charleston is the wedding capital. There really are so many old churches. The market there is really fun. Rows and rows of vendors selling their goods trying to make a little dough. We didn't buy much but it was fun to browse.
Ironically enough a few nights before we were to leave, Eric was watching Man vs. Food on TV and he was in Charleston at a restaurant called Hominy Grill. We asked around and got directions to get there. We had to wait almost an hour to get in because it is so popular. Never would have ordered what we did but we wanted some true Southern Food. Shrimp and Grits and The Big and Nasty. Yes, it was really called that. Fried chicken on a biscuit smothered in sausage gravy. They were both actually really tasty and good. I think I like grits.
We barely touched the surface of that cute town. Definitely needed a week there to see and do everything. However, we will take what we can get. A place we would love to go back to someday and explore.
It was just fun to be together. Something we need to do more often for sure.







2 comments:
So fun. I am glad you were able to get away with Eric. Way overdue. I see no pregnancy bump you stinker you look so good (as usual.)
Have a fabulous weekend with your bro and wife.
Miss you.
J
I can see the prego bump...but that's all it is...a bump. So I see the planning on the announcement had to come before these pictures so no one would be "wondering". I wish I was able to ride a bike with a belly...I guess mine's just too big...it throws my balance off... :) So fun for you guys!
Post a Comment