Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Easter Weekend

We had a pretty mellow weekend.  Friday Jacob woke up and said to me, "Yeah mom, it is Easter weekend which means we don't have to go to church on Sunday because the Easter Bunny comes and brings candy."  "Wo, Wo, Wo, Jacob dear- Easter is NOT about candy and bunnies."  So we had our little talk about why we celebrate Easter and he wasn't too happy with me when I told him we WILL go to church and the Easter bunny may not bring candy this year.  That was another ordeal in itself.  


Take 1... Take 11... Take 28... Take 45
The trick is getting a decent picture with four little ones.
{Click on picture to get full view}

Friday afternoon a friend came over with her three boys and we died eggs.  I knew that if we waited for Eric then we would never do them and the kids were so excited to get them done.  It wasn't as messy as I thought it was which was nice.  I think Jacob ate all six of his eggs in one day.  He sure does love hard boiled eggs.  I don't know if it is more the taste, or the shelling of the egg- what a kid.



Saturday was a typical day for me.  Eric was on call so the kids and I just hung out like always.  I didn't have the energy to do an easter egg hunt like Jacob was hoping for but didn't feel too bad since the kids already had two hunts in the last week.  All my kids care about is candy, candy, candy.  Luke eat, drinks, sleeps, and spends every waking hour asking me when he gets his next treat.  Oh these boys of mine that I just LOVE so much.  That night I put together their baskets with NO candy in them and prepared a few things for Sunday dinner.


Photobucket


The Easter Bunny didn't make it to our house Sunday morning.  As always it was a mad rush to get all four kids ready plus myself for church.  It doesn't matter what time I wake up for church on Sunday, I still am a few minutes late usually.  Eric called just as we were walking out the door and told me he was up ALL night and was going home to bed.  I was bummed that I had to do the whole "church thing" alone today (especially because it was Easter) but know there is always a possibility of this happening.  So needless to say, church was a waste for me since Luke had a melt down just as we were walking into the building and ended up in the hall the entire 2 hour block, Anna was SO loud we had to leave R.S. & Sunday School, Ruby was going to the bathroom and the back of her dress fell in the toilet water and was dripping wet with pee water, Jacob got more candy than you could imagine from his teacher so he was bouncing off the walls and the other three kids all wanted it too and he wasn't going to share.  WOW!!  Well, we made it through the sacrament and then I took off.  It wasn't worth it for me to battle with the kids in the hall going back and forth.  I did however get a great idea and as we were walking out, snapped these pictures of the kids which made my agony go away.  Pictures always make me happy.

Photobucket


Home to nap time for the girls (& Eric), and I got dinner ready.  I don't know why I even take the time to cook a yummy meal because the kids don't care and Eric would be happy to have Spaghetti.  Honestly, I feel liked I slaved in the kitchen all day for nothing.  What a waste of time.  We ate dinner which didn't even taste good to me since I cooked it and was just so exhausted by the time I sat down.  Before the kids went to bed we then did our Easter baskets which had great stuff in them just not candy: rain boots, stickers, sun glasses, crayons and coloring books, bubbles, chap stick... the kids loved them and were thrilled with the fun stuff they got.  (Note to self:  my new tradition starting next year will be to do all the baskets and egg hunts on Saturday.) We then talked again about the true meaning of Easter.


Photobucket


So, there is my weekend.  I feel like I didn't really get any time to myself to reflect upon the Ressurection of Christ.  It is crazy how life can just get so busy that we forget to take time for ourselves to ponder and just to have some peace and quiet.  Today I took a few minutes and am so grateful for my Savior and the love I feel from Him.  It is comforting to know that He is always there for me and loves me regardless of my shortcomings.  I love this time of year with General Conference approaching, the weather getting warmer, the flowers starting to bloom, laughter from kids outside playing- just a feeling of a new chapter. 


 

HAPPY SPRING!!!

12 comments:

Oliver and Keisha said...

Sarah, you are a trooper. I have to laugh at the candy comments, because Joey knows time by snacks, which in his mind, means treats/candy. I'm glad that he isn't the only one who is always after candy.
I have to tell you, this year, the Easter bunny did an experiment with coming on Sat. "so that he would be able to get to everyone's houses". I think it worked out nice. Well, I hope you got some good rest that night after all your hard work. :)

Jessica O. said...

My kids love and live by candy especially Daniel. But then I do that a bit myself. Easter is chaotic just like Christmas but that is part of what makes it special it is one of few times a year where you will work so hard to have everything perfect and plenty goes wrong. That is the beauty of it!

alison said...

Awesome pictures of your kids. I loved the group shots at the beginning of your post. I love Anna in the second one and the way Ruby is looking at her in the third. Priceless.

I agree with you. Easter baskets are happening on the Saturday before for our family as well. I grew up with it that way, and I like it so much better.

Happy Spring:) It's been a LONG winter for you in NJ;)

Stohl Family said...

thanks for the phone call. I love reading your blog and keeping up on you. our Easter was a little crazy too...my grandma took us to eat at Little America and Josh was sooo naughty! Matt had to take him out of the restaurant. Kids somehow know just when to make life fun! :)

Michelle Baird Designs said...

ADORABLE! Love the Easter dresses. I tried and tried to get some cute Easter pics., but can NEVER get everyone to look at the camera at the same time, let a lone smile! That single picture of little Ruby is too die for. And Jacob looks so grown up!

Nicole said...

Sarah,
I too returned home from church feeling extra grumpy. I think sunday is definately the most difficult day of the week and I really need to figure out how to enjoy it more. I think you are a terrific mom and I am really proud of you and the great job you are doing. Keep up the good work!

ashli said...

At least your kids look absolutely darling!!!! I love the girls dresses! You continue to amaze me with all that you manage to do as a part-time single mom! You are just great!

Sydney said...

Guess which mom didn't even do Easter baskets this year??? In future years, the EB will come on Saturday at our house too.

I hear you on the meals. I did the same thing at Christmas. Sat down, totally exhausted, didn't hardly eat and it was over and done with in 10 minutes with a HUGE mess to clean up and everyone would have been just as thrilled with spaghetti!

Your kids are adorable and the shots are great that you got of them. You could have stopped at number 1, it's a great shot!

Happy Spring Sarah!

Haley said...

This all sounds a little bit familiar to me! Matt had to talk in church and all Cru wanted was dada so we spent most of sacrament out in the foyer too, with Treyson all by himself (with neighbor help) in the chapel. Mind you, I am 39 weeks pregnant and am not in the mood to run after a screaming child!
Happy Spring to you Sarah...it gets easier, right?

GoatesGirl said...

Your kids are getting so big. I miss them! Their Easter clothes look so cute, I love the colors in the dresses.
Church in the hall is great eigh? Although you may not get the opportunity to quietly sit to reflect on our Savior, you are busy doing His work and raising those gorgeous children in righteousness. I think you are a fantastic wife & mother. Keep up the good work!

katie said...

Love your girls dresses-way cute. Your family is adorable and I can't believe how big t hey are all getting. Isn't it time for baby #5?!!

510Jen said...

TOo fun! You had a lot better luck at easter pictures than I did and I only have 3... YIKES. I love this season also. Talk to you soon.