Sunday, April 20, 2008

On my mind...

Today amongst wrestling with the kids during Sacrament meeting, I actually learned a few things that touched me.  One of our Stake Pres. members was the speaker and he was talking about how we as parents can help bring the Spirit into our home.  A few ideas that I want to remember and try.

1.  The single most important thing we can do as a family is read the scriptures together on a daily basis.  He remembered when he was growing up they tried as a family to do this but probably read I Nephi over 1oo times.  DON'T.  Always start where you left off even if it has been a year or so.  I think this is a great idea.  I myself have read I Nephi way too many times.

2.  Be consistent- even if you only read a verse or two.  As your kids get older you can increase that to a chapter or two.  Let your children participate reading if they are able to read.  If you miss a day here or there, keep the consistency going.

3. Find a time that works for everyone in your family to spend 10 minutes together reading.  This may be getting up at 6:30 before kids and parents are out the door.  Maybe evenings after dinner- find a time, set the time, and don't schedule anything else during those few minutes of being together.

4.  A note on FHE:  Those of us with children... picture this-  You are sitting down to begin your FHE and you spend the first five minutes telling your kids to sit up straight, put their other distractions away, BE QUIET, keep their hands to themselves, they better sing and participate or else...  sound familiar?  This is SO us.  Do you think the Spirit is present now after going off on what each child is doing wrong?  Probably not.  What matters most?  Having your kids slouching on the couch or starting off FHE with the Spirit present?  I think this is key on our Monday nights.  I need to remember why we have FHE and the importance of it.  

Photobucket
{Went to the Cherry Blossom Festival in Philly and took this picture.  The trees were enormous and so gorgeous and they were everywhere.  Wish I could have ditched my kids for a few minutes to go take some more cool pictures}


A few other random thoughts that have been on my mind...

I have been thinking about General Conference 2 weeks ago and  my favorite talk was from Russell Ballard. He spoke of motherhood and gave useful advice to the whole family, "Dad, help with the housework. Give your wife a day off once in a while." "Kids, pick up your toys! Make your bed. Tell your mom that you love her every day."

And while I love any message that encourages other people to clean the bathroom or sweep the floors, I especially enjoyed Elder Ballard's advice to ME-- to slow down, to enjoy my children, to worry less about perfection and spend more time just laughing.  I am really making an effort to do these things.  Now is the time to focus on my little family and enjoy every waking moment with them.  I LOVE being a mother and the responsibilities that come with it.  Yes, it is difficult to accomplish all that I desire but worth all the unfinished projects I have lying around, the sticky floors I walk on daily, the pee'd on toilets I get to sit on, the mile high laundry pile I have ALWAYS... 


Photobucket
{The Japanese Tea House in Philly.  There is so much history in that city I just want to explore-  I hope one day I can get out alone with my camera}

So for today, drop that broom and mop and go sit down on the floor with your kids and play trains, play dress ups, read them a story, or just tickle them to death.  And while you're doing it, have fun and LAUGH!!  For laughter is the best medicine for the soul.

8 comments:

510Jen said...

Thanks you so much for your wisdom. I too need to be better at ALL of these things. You are such an example.

PS love the pictures they are amazing.

Andrea said...

Thank you for your insight and thoughts! It is exactly what I needed! I sure appreciate you and your example. Miss you tons! Have a fablous week!

Jessica O. said...

Great pictures. No matter how much you get done there is always more so enjoy the moment. I also loved Elder Ballards talk he was inspired to say what he said to mothers. Hopefully we learn from it.

Ginnie said...

Thanks for the uplifting, go mom, feeling you gave me :)

You did an awesome job on those pictures, especially the last one... the texture look AWESOME!!

Missed you today!

Brooke Jones said...

I needed that reminder Thanks! FHE last night was the what not to do - they lost their FHE treat before we were even to the lesson. Then today was my turn to be the "foolish mother" at Costco - just snapping at my kids the whole time. I need to go put on a princess dress and play with some trains, my poor kids need a "nice" mommy. I've been meaning to read Elder Ballard's talk again too. You're the best!

Nicole said...

Great insights Sarah. This was also my favorite conference talk. I think you are a great mom and you are great at so many other things as well.

Bree said...

Sarah-your pictures are amazing, did you buy a really fancy camera? I loved Elder Ballard's talk too, thanks for reminding me to think about it again! Hope you guys are doing well...it looks like it!

rachel said...

I love this advice. Its those days with my kids that I really enjoy what I do Thanks