Saturday, June 21, 2008

STRAWBERRY PICKIN'

Photobucket

We have been pickin' and pickin' and pickin'.  This week was "pick your own strawberries" and we took advantage.  The kids had a great time but by the third morning, they were done trying to find the biggest ones and being on their hands and knees.

Photobucket

Jacob by far was my biggest helper.  He was so into it and determined to find all the BIGGEST/REDEST/JUICIEST ones.  He did a fantastic job finding the best berries.

Photobucket

Ruby just played around and was into finding the "baby" berries.  She is so into her babies that it went right along with the strawberries.  I had to pick through the flat before we left and pull out all the itty bitty ones she found.  I love this picture of Ruby but wish she didn't have a red shirt on so you could see the strawberry better.

Photobucket

Little Anna just wandered.  The first day she loved it- pickin' and eatin' whatever berry she could find.  By the last morning she sat on her toosh and just cried.  Oh, but she is going to love all the berry smoothies she is going to get.  I love you can see her big alligator tear in this pictures.

Photobucket

Luke was a pretty good worker too.  He wanted me to put all my berries in his bucket so it looked like he got a lot.  Him and Jacob were in some sort of competition to see who got the most.  Sorry Luke but Jacob totally skunked you.  Maybe next year buddy.

Photobucket

As you can tell Anna really wasn't that happy.  She kept running up and down the berry isles and the kids would take turns grabbing her and bringing her back.

Photobucket


She finally found a nice spot and started eating the berries right out of the flat- stems and all.  She had her fruit servings for the week.  I love that she is smelling the berry.  

Photobucket

The third morning we branched out a little and picked some peas.  MUCH easier than strawberry pickin' but not as tasty that's for sure.  Jacob and I are the only ones that will eat the peas but they are fun to open up and count how many peas are in the pod.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Yes, my kids wore the same clothes all three mornings because I wasn't about to have three different outfits stained red with berries.  We had a great week working with the strawberries and are stocked up with frozen strawberries for months and months of smoothies to come.  It has been a busy week.  Next week is blackberries.  YUMM-O!

11 comments:

Angela said...

Looks Yummy!

Jessica O. said...

Three Days? You are brave. Make some yummy jam.

ashlie said...

I wish we had some where here to do that! Looks like a ton of fun!

bri said...

Those look so yummy. I love the picutes. They are so cute.

Sydney said...

you're going to have to invest in a deep freeze! i'm so jealous, i'd love to go and pick some fresh berries.

Michelle Baird Designs said...

Those look so yummy! You'll have to post some of the fun recipes you use the strawberries for. Looks like were Erienites for 6 more months. Let us know if you want to come up. We'd love to have you. When are you leaving to Iowa?

swensen squeeze said...

three days? I can't believe you did that for three days! Cute pictures - and looks like they had fun!

Cathryn said...

GREAT pictures! What camera do you have?

Those strawberries look SO delicious! Here in Okinawa it is $7.89 for ONE small carton of berries. Needless to say, I have only bought them twice when I caved to my kids begging.

510Jen said...

I want some. Pack them and your blender in your suitcase and hurry here!

Nicole said...

I hope you make some yummy strawberry jam. I love that you are out there with all you kids teaching them to work and do great things.

Stohl Family said...

Oh that makes me miss Louisville so much! We loved going to Huber Farms and picking things! Miss you!