Tuesday, April 27, 2010

one after another

of disappointments that is::


I woke up this morning grateful for what a good night sleep can do for the soul. I feel refreshed and ready for a new day. A day I can start over. A day which hopefully is full of good things. A day I can wrap my arms around my kids and smother them with hugs and kisses and forget about my yesterday.

In no particular order::

~ The tooth fairy forgot to come and leave Luke money for losing his first tooth- a tooth that I ended up pulling out because his permanent tooth was already coming in behind it- he was devastated (and so was I).

~ Claire broke one of my favorite bracelets while I was in the shower. Beads were everywhere- even in her mouth. She darts for my jewelry drawer whenever I'm not looking- guess it's time to switch things around.

~ I am so bugged with my family right now. My siblings that is. Aren't we suppose to be close? Aren't they suppose to be my biggest support group? It makes me sad the way things are. I feel I try my best and give it my all but don't get much in return. What do I need to do differently to make things right with those who I love the most?

~ I had made a double batch of syrup last night for our swedish pancakes and was carrying the pan from the stove to the sink to pour into bottles and the pan of hot syrup just slipped right out of my hand and I had syrup in every nook and cranny of my kitchen. You can imagine the sticky mess I had (and still have). And my house still smells like maple.

~ Lasik eye surgery was in the making for me. Appointments were done and I was scheduled for the big day. I was ready to fork over the money. My life was soon going to change forever. No more glasses wearing gal in this house. Then the call came. I sat in disbelief. "Sarah, the other three docs and I feel it would be best if you wait another year and then we can re-scan you and go from there." My heart sank. I felt as if my whole entire world had been shattered.

~ Mexico with my entire family over Thanksgiving? A first ever vacation with all of us- kids included. How fun and crazy and so what we need and . . . not going to happen after all (at least for us). The $6000 plane tickets aint' happenin'. Totally bummed.

~ I sat and ate a half a pan of brownies last night. These dangerous things. Felt totally guilty. I have been working so hard trying to get muffin top to disappear. This sure didn't help. Plus, I was sick.

~ I freaked out at my kids for no good reason at all last night. I was at my last straw. I took my frustrations completely out on them which is totally unfair. They were so forgiving. Why can't I be that forgiving (hence the quick run last night for silly bands they so deserved).

As I was reminded on Sunday by my 6 year old boy who announced in Primary, "My mom teaches me that . . . sometimes life is just hard." You nailed it little buddy. I guess these kids do listen to me at times- at least to the important stuff.


Sometimes life really is just hard whether we like it or not.

20 comments:

Sunshine said...

Hey, I couldn't read that without letting you know I'm sorry for your stinky day. You're pretty amazing. I wish I was a fly on your wall so I could figure out how you do all you do:)

ashli said...

love you sar!

alicia said...

Ah, Sarah- hang in there girl.

That was some bed day... lots of disappointments and mishaps that just don't seem quite fair, especially the lasik- what a blow! (Validation always makes me feel better.)

On the up side, there are worse smells than maple syrup!

And like today, tomorrow is always a new day.

Thinking of you...

HUGS!!

Angela Weber said...

Sarah, you seem like such an awesome mom. I linked onto your blog through Deborah Frederick's blog. I can't believe how creative youi are and what fun things you do with your kids. It seems like your husband is gone a lot with work and you are a brave girl to live so far away with those five cute kids. I wish you the best. I hope you keep blogging, I love to read about your life. Sincerely, Angela Breinholt Weber

Lisanne said...

When things get hard I always think of the line from Nemo, "just keep swimming, just keep swimming," - you will make it! You are darling and don't give up on your Mexico airfare. We are headed to Maui in August and at one point there was no way we were going to pay $905 a seat. But I set up an alert on Kayak, kept watching fares and they finally dropped! Keep smiling!!

swensen squeeze said...

Hang in there! love ya

Jessica O. said...

Sorry you had a bad day. We all have those and thank goodness they don't come everyday. I was also told to wait on the Lasik and I'm hoping soon. You are a great Mom, sister, wife, and friend. I hope you have a better week.

Kim Ward said...

Sarah you are right sometimes life is just hard. Keep doing your best. You are an amazing person! Don't forget it.

Morgan Greaves said...

Hope today is a better day for you Sarah! :)

Kamy said...

Sarah - I hate it when everything seems to go wrong, and I'm sorry that you had such a bad day. However, I have to admit that it did make me smile to read about the tooth fairy mishap, as the tooth fairy at our house seems to be a little forgetful as well. Not only once but 4 times now!! Luckily with some fast talking we were able to salvage all situations and now my kids just think that the tooth fairy sometimes can't make it everywhere in one night.

Aly G said...

I am so sorry for the syrup thing! Thanks for sharing it made me feel like I am not the only one who is glad for a new day to start OVER! I think you are a doll in glasses. My kiddos love those silly bands too! I just ate a ton of choc pretzels & am feeling your pain!:) Love seeing what you are up to:)

Nicole said...

Sorry you are mad at your siblings, I hope that doesn't include me. I love you and miss you and hope you will move closer to home. NSL would be a great place.

Anonymous said...

Love you Sarah! Bummer about laser. I know how excited you were. Hang in there . . . I'll see you soon. Mom

Prince's said...

hang in there the sun will come out tomarrow! unless you live in utah! hang in there!

Ambur said...

Sarah- I dont know if you remember me. (Ambur Dimmitt from the your home ward.) Debs friend. I love reading your blog. What a cute family you have.
I love this post! I feel like I have many days like that. Life is hard.

Cassie Jeter said...

Hey Sarah, I loved this last entry. You are so wonderful:-).
Just so you know, Sophie gets into my jewelry armoire too! She can only reach the last two drawers, so I typically put braclets and watches in their for her to get!
Keep your head up! Talk to ya soon!

Stohl Family said...

Sar- I forgot to tell you in my email about my lasik experience. That is such a bummer! I know how many problems you've had with your eyes bothering you. I remember NY and how irritated they kept getting. I loved lasik but do wish I had waited to get it done until after kids, etc. Because tomorrow I am going to pick up my glasses at Costco...bummer! They don't know if they can ever do the lasik on me again so I really wish I had waited. But the good news is you will love it when you get it but maybe it is a blessing in disguise to have to wait a little. So sorry! Love ya! Kim

The Atwood's said...

Ahhh Sarah!! I just want to come give you a big hug and say "it will all be okay!" Poor little lamb! Although, it does make me feel normal so I too appreciate you sharing it. The good thing is, it can only go up from here. You need a vacation...like to San Antonio. :)

Kris said...

Sarah, just a blog reader here.

I'm sorry you had such a bad day, I am a mom of 3 and I can totally relate!

It's so easy to think "why me?" and think that bad things only happen to us, but of course, we've all been there.

Here's wishing you happier days!

Amanda said...

Just another blog reader here, too.

So glad to read what you wrote about trying to get along with family. Not that I'm glad that you're struggling with it. It's just that I actually just sat down to the computer with that exact same frustration on my mind. I have no answers, but I guess if nothing else, it's comforting to know there are others out ther who share the same struggle.